The Park Nursing Home, located in Castletroy, is the most popular nursing and residential home in the region. The home is situated within the prestigious landscape of The Park Retirement Village.
Supporting the Director of Nursing, each home has a dedicated team of staff nurses, senior healthcare assistants, healthcare assistants, activity coordinators, social care practitioners, allied healthcare professionals and ancillary staff, who’s focus is to enhance the lives of the elderly residents in their care.
The Park Nursing Home is now inviting applications for the position of Director of Nursing.
What does the role entail?
Quality of Care Responsibilities
To ensure the delivery of the highest standards of nursing and social care which meet the individual needs of each resident through implementation of:
- The Company’s Quality of Care System.
- Clinical practice in the home meets Regulations & Standards.
- Monitoring of clinical practice through individualised plans of care for each resident.
- Conducting internal audits and following up on results of same.
- Initial induction of staff and ongoing training and development of staff.
- Encouragement of innovative practice.
- Ensuring implementation and adherence to Company and HIQA standards, procedures and guidelines.
Financial Administration Responsibilities
- Maintenance of administrative procedures in the absence of the Administrator.
- Monitoring of administrative procedures.
- Knowledge of resident’s fee income, funding source, fee arrears, personal allowance, financial records.
- Management of the Community Unit’s budget.
- Understand legislative requirements regarding the financial affairs of mentally impaired people.
- Conducting regular communication meetings with all clinical staff.
- Establish a good rapport with external community agencies bringing the local community into the Home and facilitating residents to attend functions/activities within the local community.
- Liaise with Marketing to maximise opportunities to ensure the Home has a high profile in the local community.
- Monitor all complaints ensuring that each is documented to include the investigation and outcome.
- Implement Company Health and Safety Policy to safeguard the safety and welfare of staff, residents, and others.
- Implement regular fire training and evacuation plans.
- Ensure catering meets HACCP standards and is to the highest quality & variety.
- Ensure the hygiene and cleanliness of the home is to the highest standard.
- Ensure a preventative maintenance programme is in place and implemented.
Human Resources Function
- Participate in the selection and interviewing of staff.
- Conduct regular training needs analysis.
- Ensure HR practices within the Home comply with all current employment legislation.
- Ensure all registered nurses employed in the Home are on the “live” NMBI Register.
What are the Qualifications Skills & Attributes required?
- Qualified RGN with at least 3 years’ experience in the last 6 years in care of the older person.
- Post registration management qualification in health or a related field.
- No less than 3 years’ experience in a management capacity in the health and social care area.
- Registered on appropriate part of NMBI live register.
- Proven track record in healthcare clinical management.
- Excellent Leadership, Organisational and Communication skills.
- Sound decision making ability and results driven.
- Good appreciation of finance issues.
- Ability to motivate self and others and work on own initiative.
- Ability to work well and promote a team environment.
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to the needs of the company.
All posts are subject to satisfactory references, medical and Garda vetting.
This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role and the range of duties, it does not attempt to detail every activity. Given the nature of the work, it must be stressed that maximum flexibility is required to work in the nursing home. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder periodically.