Reporting to the EHS Manager your role will be to provide technical support on all environmental, health and safety management systems on site and to develop and maintain environmental, health and safety programmes to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, guidelines and best practices.
Core tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead / Support existing safety programmes to include but not limited to chemical management (Reach, CLP), ergonomics, machine safety, risk assessment, occupational health etc in conjunction with the Senior Health and Safety Specialist and Health and Safety Officer. Provide support to the Senior EHS Engineer on process safety reviews/HAZOPs/LOPA/safety engineering initiatives on site, as required.
- Legislation: Compile and maintain the Health and Safety legislative register and Environmental register through involvement with external groups such as BioPharmaChemical Ireland and ensure that the company standards and interpretation of the legislation is consistent with the best industry practice and Corporate requirements.
- Ensure compliance with HSA process safety requirements in consultation with the Senior EHS Engineer.
- Safety Management System/Environmental Management System: Support maintenance of the safety management system ISO45001 and environmental management system to ISO14001 to ensure that the policies and procedures are consistent with best standards and that the elements as defined below comply with regulatory requirements and reflect continuous improvement initiatives:
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities, communicate to management and review periodically
- Implement standard work processes and develop associated SOPs/work instructions to support these.
- Safety Statement review and update
- Safety policies (e.g., electricity, working at heights)
- Coordinate Risk Assessments Programme
- HSE Handbook, Site inductions, Safety SOPs, Permit Reviews
- Support Emergency response planning , Crisis Management Training & Emergency Exercise
- Co-ordinate and conduct Occupational Monitoring Programme
- Contractor Management – Process/Procedural responsibility &verification of compliance.
- Update safety and environmental procedures.
- Co-ordinate safety and environmental training on site.
- Provide support for any external audits and carry out inspections and audits of the site on a regular basis.
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and standards associated with ISO45001, cGMP, ISO 14001, Health & Safety Legislation, Environmental Legislation, and all site standards, policies, and procedures.
- Promote the highest standards of site safety by influencing the behavioural aspects of safety performance.
- Support the operational excellance program on site to ensure EHS principles are promoted and central to every role/task on site.
- Co-ordination and conducting site safety & behavioural tours and follow-up actions.
- Health & Safety promotion via competitions, poster campaigns, notice boards and safety weeks.
- Reporting to the Astellas management, the H&S KPI’s on a monthly basis.
- Ensure all near miss, hazard spotting and first aid/ accident reports are investigated, root cause identified and corrective actions implemented in a timely manner. Collation of Statistics.
- Support the Safety Awareness Group meeting to ensure employee concerns are addressed on-site and implement suggested improvements as appropriate.
- Support the implementation of further modules of the SALUS System and maintain and optimise existing modules e.g. safety incident reporting, contractor management etc.
Construction Projects/ Modifications on site/ New product introduction
- Assess process/plant changes/new installations. Participate in project teams to ensure environmental, health and safety aspects of materials and operations are considered. Provide technical safety and environmental input to the design and construction of new/modified facilities including impact on future maintenance requirements. Ensure that new processes and associated equipment modifications are assessed from a health and safety perspective through HAZOPs, HAZID’s, Method Statements & Risk Assessment.
Safety and Environmental Incident Investigation:
- Support clear and concise documentation of environmental incident investigation reports for submission to the EPA or AICL Management Team and closeout in a timely manner.
- Support clear and concise documentation of safety incident investigation reports for submission to the AICL Management Team and closeout in a timely manner.
- Participation in root cause investigations of incidents on site and employment of critical thinking to focus on root causes and associated corrective actions to prevent re-occurrence.
- Support the Senior Environmental Specialist and Environmental Officer with compilation of the Annual Environmental Report and the annual Corporate Audit/Report.
- Support the Environmental Officer as required in the following tasks: 1) to ensure that all work in the EHS laboratory and Environmental Lab is carried out in compliance with the laboratory systems and procedures to ensure that the materials inventory, laboratory services, equipment validation, documentation, training records, risk assessments are kept up to date and in compliance with site requirements. 2) Support the schedule and review testing by the external accredited lab to comply with the IE Licence. Provide operational support by supplying information/guidance and conduct / organize laboratory testing of samples to support the environmental operations section. 3) Liaise with third party contractors to ensure environmental compliance monitoring is carried out as required and as per annual schedules.
- In conjunction with other functions on site, support the Senior Environmental Specialist in the development and maintenance of the site’s Energy Management Programme.
- Support the Integrity Testing Processes on site i.e. that Site Register for Integrity Testing of site drainage systems, bunding and underground tanks is maintained.
- Provide support on Waste Management: work in conjunction with FESP (Facilities Engineering Service Provider) and Waste Management contractor to ensure waste generated on site is managed in compliance with all relevant IE licence, Irish and EU legislative requirements. Conduct off-site audits of Waste Facilities as necessary. Maintain all records and information required from a regulatory perspective for hazardous and non-hazardous waste on site.
Skills and Experience required for the role
- Educated to degree level in Science, Engineering (or equivalent EHS discipline). Postgraduate qualification in Health and Safety and Environmental Compliance an advantage.
- Minimum of 6 years site-based environmental, health and safety experience working in a manufacturing pharmaceutical environment.
- Strong knowledge of current Environmental, Health and Safety Legislation/Regulation and current best practice.
- Proven track record of maintaining environmental, health and safety compliance in a pharmaceutical company.
- Ability to clearly communicate the environmental, health and safety requirements of activities.