ICON plc is a world-leading healthcare intelligence and clinical research organisation. From molecule to medicine, we advance clinical research providing outsourced services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device and government and public health organisations.
With our patients at the centre of all that we do, we help to accelerate the development of drugs and devices that save lives and improve quality of life.
Our people are our greatest strength, are at the core of our culture, and the driving force behind our success. ICON people have a mission to succeed and a passion that ensures what we do, we do well.
The Program Manager role in the IT PMO is responsible for the assessment and successful implementation of large, complex IT and Business Change programs and projects. The Program Manager role may also have oversight across portfolios, programs, projects and across project managers.
- Ensure that all programs and projects are delivered to timelines, budget and scope. Strong delivery focus is key.
- Ensure that the appropriate structures, governance, roles and communication are in place and managed.
- Develop and update project plans, budgets and resource plans for project execution and for business case submissions.
- Responsible for managing and pro-actively reporting on plan, budget, scope, resources, project decisions, risks, issues and dependencies. Maintain and present project metrics to senior management.
- Manage the relationship and overall engagement with implementation partners and vendors, as well as all stakeholders.
- Provide input on overall project business value, using experience and knowledge to enable the team to achieve stated objectives, benefits and ROI. Advise on change management and adoption and assist in tracking post implementation benefits as appropriate.
- Manage full handover to operational support and maintenance teams.
- Proactively get involved in process improvement activities within the Project Management group.
- Provide oversight coaching, mentoring and personal development of others as required. Assist in hiring of PMs in the PMO as relevant.
- Manage portfolios, programs and projects of all sizes, across all service lines.
- Oversee programs or projects being managed by others as appropriate, including during business case development or implementation and closeout.
- Be involved in the assessment of plans, budget, scope and resources for client related work (including RFI, RFPs, client presentations), as required. Work with other PMs or PMO Leadership to ensure submissions are appropriate from a delivery and commercial viewpoint.
- Manage the development of business cases if required, including helping to define tangible benefits against delivery outcomes if relevant. Provide concise, key information for senior management as part of this process.
To succeed you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree or local equivalent or equivalent work experience
- PM certification an advantage
- Prior relevant experience managing and successfully delivering complex programs, portfolios or projects (including large, cross functional, geographically dispersed project teams) within a large company.
- Strong delivery and accountability ethos.
- Excellent relationship management skills across all organizational levels. Ability to work with senior level stakeholders, clients and external auditors.
- To provide added value by challenging assumptions, being proactive, solution orientated and managing expectations.
- Strong understanding and experience in delivering organizational change as part of IT projects. Ability to quickly understand a business area and/or a problem. Mentor and guide others in this as appropriate.
- Experience in managing custom developed (internal and external) solutions as well as off-the-shelf or configured solutions, including dealing with challenging vendors.
- Experience in managing projects with multiple workstreams, as well as programs with several projects. Ability to identify and mange cross project dependencies.
- Ability to manage and contribute to the creation of business cases, including vendor selection. Good experience in negotiating vendor contracts.
- Expertise in risk management and test strategy.
- Excellent leadership, documentation and communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing,
- Conflict Resolution and Problem Solving skills.
- Agile, waterfall, hybrid methodologies.
- CRO / Pharma / Regulatory (including 21 CRF Part 11, SOX) experience an advantage.
Benefits of Working in ICON:
Our success depends on the knowledge, capabilities and quality of our people. That’s why we are committed to developing our employees in a continuous learning culture – one where we challenge you with engaging work and where every experience adds to your professional development.
At ICON, our focus is to provide you with a comprehensive and competitive total reward package that comprises, not only an excellent level of base pay, but also a wide range of variable pay and recognition programs. In addition, our best in class employee benefits, supportive policies and wellbeing initiatives are tailored to support you and your family at all stages of your career – both now, and into the future.
ICON, including subsidiaries, is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know through the form below.
To be considered for this role you will be redirected to and must complete the application process on our careers page. To start the process click the Continue to Application or Login/Register to apply button below.