Our Killarney home is a 56 bed modern nursing home, providing a high standard of care 24 hours a day.We offer residential care as well as specialist care for those with Dementia. We also provide respite care to give home carers a much needed break.
We are currently looking for a Relief Chef to join Killarney Nursing Home.
You will cover annual leave, sick leave and ad hoc shifts required by the home. Hours will be spread across Monday – Sunday so you must be available 7 days a week.
Overview of the role
Responsible for the preparation of meals to suit the dietary requirements of a nursing home. Provide the catering service efficiently and in accordance with current legislation and company policy and procedure.
What does the role entail?
- Ensures the standard of hygiene in the kitchen meets all Health and Safety Regulations and records are maintained to demonstrate this.
- Adheres to all current HACCP Regulations (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points)
- Conducts risk assessments and adequate records retrained and reviewed at regular intervals.
- Adheres to First Aid, Hygiene, Health & Safety rules and COSHH Regulations at all times.
- Ensures food is prepared and cooked in accordance with current food hygiene regulations and guidelines.
- Ensures all equipment is operated, maintained and serviced as per manufacturer’s instructions and Health and Safety requirements/recommendations.
- Maintains adequate records for purchasing and stock control.
- Ensures all cleaning materials and substances used in the kitchen are handled and stored in accordance with Control of Substances Hazardous to Health requirements.
- Guides and directs catering team adhere to all legislative guidelines/requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Provides a high standard of catering to meet the needs of residents and staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes:
- Professional qualification (Culinary Arts/HACCP/QQI)
- Level 2 HACCP Training
- Experience working in similar environment (with a good knowledge of HIQA standards and special diets for elderly)
- Ability to motivate self and others and work on own initiative.
- Can work as part of, and lead a team having excellent leadership, organisational and communication skills.
- Passionate about delivering great food.
- Fluent level of English both written and oral.
All posts are subject to satisfactory references, medical and Garda vetting
This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for the catering manager. Given the nature of the work it must be stressed that maximum flexibility is required to work in a Nursing Home. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder and the Home Manager.