Design, development and taking to market of medical devices for the Cook Medical MedSurg Division.
Reporting to: Senior Research & Development Engineer/Research & Development Manager
- Perform Duties of Research & Development Engineer:
- Design development, prototyping, test method design, design evaluation, design reviews, design specifications, design verification and validation, design protocols and reports, transfer to production activities in a timely effective manner.
- Product testing and evaluation, completion of test reports to support design selection.
- Preparation and presentation of design reviews.
- Product and project risk analysis and risk management.
- Work with Process Development Engineering to introduce/develop new equipment and production processes as required for any new manufacturing techniques.
- Source new materials components and equipment.
- Development of component specifications, inspection methods, bills of materials and manufacturing processes.
- Introduction of new equipment, materials and technologies.
- Work closely with Key Opinion Leaders (KOL’s), physicians and product managers to develop innovative medical devices to improve patient care.
- Project lead for assigned research & development projects including technical and project management responsibly.
- Manage and drive project tasks to ensure timely completion of project milestones.
- Work closely with cross functional groups to achieve project and company goals.
- Product performance evaluations.
- Contribute to innovation and creativity within team through filing of disclosures and patents.
- Hold regular project meetings and document minutes and actions.
- Ensure project milestones are achieved to meet business metrics.
- Compliance with Quality, Regulatory and company policies and systems.
- Regular communication to cross-functional teams, senior management and business unit leaders.
- Project status communications and reporting.
- Remain on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Educating oneself in the medical area for which the new devices are being developed in order to have an appreciation for what needs to be achieved with these products.
- Support other cross functional groups to deliver company goals.
- Ensure that Cook’s Code of Conduct is considered in all business matters carried out on Cook’s behalf.
- Third level degree in Mechanical, Biomedical, Design, Chemical Engineering or similar discipline.
- 2 Years design experience medical device roles.
- Project planning skills.
- Execution of project in a timely effective manner.
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Good mechanical design and understanding of engineering fundamentals with extensive medical device materials knowledge.
- Manufacturing design and process understanding.
- Good working knowledge of Solidworks and/or Pro Engineer CAD.
- Strong technical writer.
- Knowledge of medical device quality & regulatory systems and medical device directives (ISO13485 and FDA CFR 820), EU Medical Device Regulation 2017/745.
- Team Player with ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Highly motivated individual, self-starter with a passion for excellence.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
- Willingness and availability to travel on company business.
About Cook Medical
Since 1963, Cook Medical has been finding solutions to improve the world’s healthcare problems for the patients and doctors we serve. As one of the world’s largest private companies, we have always operated with our patients, customers, employees and communities at our core. We do this, not only because it is good business, but also because we believe that being a good corporate citizen is the right thing to do.
Cook Medical has been in Limerick since 1993. Since opening, we have become a European headquarters for many of Cook’s business functions. With a global workforce of over 12,000, we employ over 950 people in Ireland who bring Endoscopy, Urology and Peripheral Intervention products from conception to commercialisation.
Research and Development in Limerick
Our mission with R&D is to invent, manufacture, and deliver a unique portfolio of medical devices to the healthcare systems of the world. Serving patients is a privilege, and we demand the highest standards of quality, ethics, and service in all that we do.
Our R&D team in Limerick is split into two divisions, Vascular and Medsurg. The R&D engineering teams are responsible for bringing a product from idea or concept all the way to market launch.
The MedSurg R&D team in Limerick has two programs, Endoscopy / EndoSurgery and Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery ( OHNS ) th at it is responsible for designing and developing new and innovative products for. The R&D engineers and scientists have the opportunity to explore and create novel ideas within feasibility, bring a medical device through verification and validation phase and be a part of bringing a new product to the market. The MedSurg R&D team works in collaboration with Cook ‘s sister site in Winston Salem, North Carolina.
Our employee benefits include:
- Hybrid working – mix of remote & onsite
- Company sponsored Defined Contribution pension scheme
- Medical Health Insurance cover for you and your immediate family
- Life Assurance and Income Protection cover
- Educational Assistance
- Performance related Bonus
- Extensive health & wellness program including Indian head massages, healthy lifestyle seminars, mindfulness courses, physio sessions, flu vaccinations, nutrition talks
- Fully equipped gym on site
- 39-hour week with flexible start & finish times
- Paid time off to participate in volunteer activities
- Free parking
- Subsidised restaurant
- Sports & Social club
- Innovation centre to facilitate collaboration with physicians
To be considered for this role you will be redirected to and must complete the application process on our careers page. To start the process click the Continue to Application or Login/Register to apply button below.