Work as part of a Research & Development team in the design and process development of medical devices to take to market for the MedSurg Division.
Reporting to: Research & Development Manager or Research & Development Team Leader
Find out more about Cook Medical here
- Perform Duties of Senior Research & Development Engineer:
- Design and process development:
- Prototyping and test method design.
- Design and process evaluation , reviews, specifications, verification and validation, protocols and reports and transfer to production activities in a timely and effective manner.
- Product and project risk analysis and risk management.
- Develop prototypes which are consistent with the clinical and design requirements of the project.
- Research new therapies and design solutions to develop and complement the existing product portfolio.
- Introduce new equipment, materials and technologies.
- Generation of Design History File documentation.
- Support of regulatory submissions.
- Design and process development:
- Work closely with Key Opinion Leaders (KOL’s), physicians and product managers to develop innovative medical devices to improve patient care.
- Project lead for assigned Research & Development team/s including technical and project management leadership responsibly, if required.
- Lead technical development of projects.
- Lead key design decisions to ensure quality design selection.
- Manage the activities of the project team and drive project tasks to ensure timely completion of project milestones and business metrics are achieved.
- Work closely to build effective relationships with cross functional groups to achieve project and company goals.
- Retrospective project reviews to understand lessons learned.
- Manage device evaluations.
- Compliance with Quality, Regulatory and company policies and systems.
- Mentoring, coaching and development of direct reports, if required.
- Foster innovation and creativity within team and perform disclosure reviews.
- Regular communication to cross-functional teams, senior management and business unit leaders.
- Project status communications and reporting.
- Ensure effective reporting to the R&D Manager or R&D Team leader.
- Remain on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Instrumental in driving and implementing change to improve departmental and company performance.
- Educating oneself in the medical area for which the new devices are being developed in order to have an appreciation for what needs to be achieved with these products.
- Support other cross functional groups to deliver company goals.
- Act as a designee of the Research & Development Manager or Research & Development Team leader, if required.
- Ensure that Cook’s Code of Conduct is considered in all business matters carried out on Cook’s behalf.
- Third level degree in Mechanical, Biomedical, Science, Design or similar discipline, Masters or Ph.D. level preferred but not essential.
- 7+ years’ experience.
- Proven Project Leadership abilities.
- Experience in DOE and/or Gage R&R is preferred.
- Strong statistical understanding and experience, including good working knowledge of Excel and/or Minitab.
- Good Project Management methodology and skills.
- Proven track record in delivering quality results in a timely effective manner.
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Good mechanical design and understanding of engineering fundamentals with extensive medical device materials knowledge.
- Innovative/Creative Engineer.
- Good manufacturing design and process understanding.
- Good working knowledge of Solidworks and/or Pro Engineer CAD. Good presentation skills (working knowledge of MS PowerPoint).
- Strong technical writer.
- Attention to detail and Quality focus.
- Good working knowledge of medical device quality & regulatory systems and medical device directives (ISO13485 and FDA CFR 820).
- Team Player with ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Highly motivated individual, self-starter with a passion for excellence.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to foster relationships with key stakeholders required to ensure on time project delivery.
- Experience of medical device development from concept through to commercialisation.
- Ability to effectively translate needs of clinicians and business division into project inputs.
- Willingness and availability to travel on company business.
To be considered for this role you will be redirected to and must complete the application process on our careers page. To start the process click the Continue to Application or Login/Register to apply button below.