Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 70,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
Our Research and Development (R&D) Centre of Excellence in Limerick provides cutting edge technology and a creative environment to be inspired to tap into your inner genius. We are looking for amazing, passionate and dedicated people like you, where you will be at the forefront of creating and developing specialised devices, software solutions and systems to help others. You are the one who can make the difference. Join us and be a crucial part of advancing the world of health!
About the role
BD is looking for a highly talented Software Engineer with a passion for delivering software products supporting the patient care continuum to join their Biosciences function. You are self-motivated, innovative, and confident in developing differentiating solutions. You are a strong team member and collaborate effectively with your project team to achieve a high-quality product within the scheduled work. You are experienced in full software development lifecycle and adherence to a quality management system.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Apply your software engineering prowess to creating powerful, fluid representations of the results from our life science research and clinical solutions in the growing fields of flow cytometry.
- Innovate at all levels of our products from instrument control, through a well-architected app, to a modern front-end. You will work with like-minded professionals to create the highest quality software solutions.
- Be capable of working independently to specify, plan, design, develop, test and support software components, and also have the capacity to mentor others including presenting/participating in design reviews and code inspections
- Translate requirements into design and implementation of well-structured and documented software components; anticipate system faults, failures, or unusual events, ensuring software adequately mitigates identified risks, and develop automated unit test cases to assure software meets the design criteria
- Adhere to all BD Life Sciences development policies and software quality procedures
Qualifications and Skills:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Math, Engineering or related field with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience in software development.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle methodologies, including Agile, SAFe.
- Experience with .NET, C# and WPF
- Knowledge of Software Design Patterns and their usage
- Strong software engineering fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, async programming, object-oriented design, multithreading etc).
- Experience and knowledge on OOP, SOLID principles and databases such as MS SQL Server, Entity Framework and/or LINQ
- Exposure to .NET Core would be plus
- Knowledge and experience in developing Service-Oriented Architectures and Restful Interfaces
- Having experience with Application Performance Profiling and Optimization is a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are essential
- Experience working in a regulated (FDA) environment with medical instrumentation is a plus
- Clear and effective communications, be it when you write code, technical documents or explaining complex technical issues.
In addition to the above skills, the following skillset would be advantageous but not essential:
- Experience with Test-driven Development and Mocking Frameworks
- Experience collaborating with other developers using source control solutions like Git/TFS and Azure DevOps
- Additionally, experience with Angular front-end technologies would be an advantage
Click on apply if this sounds like you!
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program – which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components – is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.