Job Title; Staff Nurse
Department; Theatre, Anaesthetics and PACU
Reports to; Clinical Coordinator
Overall Purpose of Job
Provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring, and compassion are at the centre of all that we do.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Will participate as an effective member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Will facilitate and deliver quality patient care by effective and efficient management of available time and resources demonstrating professional leadership and clinical expertise. Will advance current nursing practice in accordance with NMBI guidelines.
- As a Staff Nurse in Anaesthetics will participate in ongoing professional development within the department in line with current and future service demands and advances within Anaesthetic nursing.
- The Staff Nurse will communicate with the Clinical Coordinator and provide support as required.
- The Staff Nurse in Anaesthetics will manage the day to day operational requirements that arise and will collaborate closely with the members of other departments.
- Responsibility for ensuring the operation of safe equipment and adequate supplies in an efficiently arranged physical setting.
- Adhere to internal controls for department.
- Participate in all regulatory and mandatory survey processes within the Hospital.
- Clinical Responsibilities
- The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to The Professional Scope of Practice Framework (NMBI 2000).
- The post holder will ensure:
- The patient’s needs are individually assessed.
- A care plan and evaluation process is planned and implemented.
- Patients are cared for in the optimum clinical environment, adhering to all nursing and hospital wide policies and guidelines.
- Delegation is appropriate to the skill level and knowledge of the individual to whom the task is delegated.
- Documentation is recorded in a professional, legible and timely fashion.
- Deputise for the Clinical Coordinator as appropriate.
- Participate in department problem solving and improvement of systems.
- Adhere to Standard Precautions as appropriate.
- The use of protective barriers as appropriate.
- Handling and disposing of infectious waste appropriately.
- Maintain good working relationships with other departments and with physicians, patients, families and outside agencies.
- Communicate during the shift with the relevant Clinical Coordinator as required.
- Demonstrate the ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities.
- Participate in ongoing consultation and collaboration with physicians and other care providers to maximise patient outcomes and unit specific goals.
- Participate in unit-based and interdepartmental QI activities.
- Demonstrate willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed.
- The staff nurse will be cross trained and may be allocated to PACU as needed.
- Personal & Professional Responsibilities
- The post holder is expected to:
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Utilise all practical opportunities to educate the patient and their families.
- Attend appropriate study days and courses.
- Be a preceptor and or supervisor to students and newly appointed staff.
- Participate in their performance review with their Nurse Manager.
- Educational Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Nurse Manager the post holder will:
- Identify and contribute to the continual enhancement of learning opportunities in the clinical area.
- Participate in the clinical induction of all new nursing and support staff.
- Assume responsibility for own learning and development needs.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Frequent periods of concentrated or focused attention will be needed to interpret visual, auditory, and sensory inputs.
- Utilise effective time management skills.
- All employees are expected to remain flexible to meet the needs of the hospital, which may include floating to other departments to assist as the patient needs fluctuate.
NMBI Registered General Nurse licence.
BLS & ACLS
Minimum of 1 year post registration experience in an acute hospital setting
A management course is desirable.
Have proven clinical ability and communication skills.
Competencies and Knowledge
Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Demonstrate motivation to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
Planning and Organising
Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
Demonstrate flexible approach – to internal rotations, rostering e.g. night duty, theatre on call, attitude to work.
Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
Maintain up to date certificates in BLS and ACLS.
Patient and Customer Focus
Demonstrate a focus on quality.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
Under the Hospital’s Health & Safety risk assessment, Beacon Hospital requires that all Employees, Consultants and Contractors that can receive a Covid 19 vaccination must do so in order to exercise their roles in a safe manner, and minimise the risk of endangering their own health, the health of patients, or the health of those that they work with.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.