Job Title ; Vascular Physiologist
Department ; Radiology
Reports to ; Head of Radiology or assigned Designee
Date ; 2022
Overall Purpose of Job
We will provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
Carry out the duties appropriate to a Vascular Physiologist, in the performance of diagnostic tests of the vascular system to patients to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of vascular disorders and to participate in the delivery of the vascular programme in Beacon Hospital.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
· The senior vascular scientist should be familiar with the techniques and range of equipment used in current medical practice for the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients.
· Perform a full range of vascular ultrasound scans.
· Have a complete understanding of all such procedures and an ability to make accurate measurements is essential.
· Ability to effectively communicate with consultants, and GP’s regarding patients’ needs.
· Ensure the timely production and delivery of patient procedures
· Maintains required departmental records. Corrects delinquent medical records.
· Assures that equipment is maintained according to manufacturer’s specifications.
· Reports any malfunctions as they occur to Medical Physics.
· Participates in department process improvement projects.
· Maintains infection control procedures to protect patients and staff.
· Maintains a safe working environment.
· Maintain a professional and courteous relationship with patients and colleagues.
· Orders and stores adequate supplies in compliance with company policy.
· To keep abreast in understanding and knowledge of all new developments in the vascular field.
· Attend meetings as required
· Report accidents and incidents. Participate in the investigation and remedial action.
· This is not an exhaustive listing and the senior vascular scientist will perform such other duties appropriate to the office as may be assigned to him/her from time to time.
Personal Professional Responsibilities:
The post holder is expected to;
· Attend in a timely manner all mandatory education sessions
· Maintain a professional portfolio
· Ensure their professional and personal persona, including appearance and dress code, positively reflects the profession of technicians/ scientists and Beacon hospital.
· Attend appropriate study days and courses
· Contribute to the identification of training needs pertinent to the clinical area.
· Identify and contribute to the continual enhancement of learning opportunities in the clinical area
· Assume responsibility for own learning and development needs.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
· Utilises effective time management skills
· Complies with guidelines for absence or tardiness
· Attends staff meetings, reads email and other postings.
· Attends all required in-services
· Wears identification badge when working
· All employees are expected to remain flexible to meet the needs of the department
· Perform departmental audits that feed into the organisation quality programme
· Assist Head of Radiology or Designee in the preparation for accreditation surveys
M.P.P.M – Certificate in Medical Physics and Physiological Measurement (Dublin Institute of Technology, Kevin Street, Dublin) or equivalent.
Minimum of 3 years post qualification experience
Good general knowledge of vascular scanning.
Good organisational and time management skills
Proactive approach to quality control and service improvements
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
Demonstrate clinical competence and relevant experience in a vascular department.
Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect.
Demonstrate ability to manage clinical and non-clinical situations.
Demonstrate an ability to contribute to overall service development as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Have proven ability to work under pressure.
Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills; including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner to patients.
Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development.
Have a high capacity for responsibility and individual initiative.
Be able to deal with staff and management at all levels within the organisation.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Job Description received by employee: _______________________________ ___________________